GnosisGIS @ University of Twente
Laura Rinaldi and Jurg Utzinger were invited by Sherif Amer to visit the ITC Faculty for Geo-information science and Earth Observation of the University of Twente in order to establish collaboration between GnosisGIS and ITC
(from left to right: Sherif Amer, Rob Lemmens, Tom Veldkamp (Dean), Juerg Utzinger, Laura Rinaldi, Richard Sliuzas, Nick Hamm, Ellen-Wien Augustijn)
Diseases and Emerging & Zoonotic Infections
Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, Institute of Infection and Global Health
Location: University of Liverpoo
The objectives of GnosisGIS are to:
- Facilitate collaboration of health scientists dedicated to development of GIS-based infectious disease forecast systems
- Publish the official journal Geospatial Health for peer-reviewed articles on health applications in the geospatial sciences for disease risk mapping and ecological niche modeling
- Offer training courses on health applications of geospatial tools through an 'International School of Geospatial Health'
- Sponsor an 'International Symposia on Geospatial Health' series at annual meetings
- Publish maps, data and metadata on the web on GIS health applications
The aim of GnosisGIS is to maintain a network of collaborating health workers and earth scientists dedicated to development of global computer-based models that can be used for improved control programs for schistosomiasis and other snail-borne diseases of medical and veterinary importance. The scope of the organization has since been expanded to include other infectious diseases of medical and veterinary importance.